Dienstag, 5. April 2011

JEdit macro to beautify/ align text tables (ex. as used in cucumber scenarios)

For quite some time now I'm using cucumber for behavior driven ruby on rails development (BDD). And I use the nice text tables in my scenarios cucumber offers. Too bad I couldn't find a macro/ plugin which allows me to easily align the table cells so they look nice and well formated.

This this is how I write my tables:

  |Corin|Langosch|info@netskin.com|
  |Hans|Müller|test@email.com|

This is how they should look like:
  | Corin | Langosch | info@netskin.com |
  | Hans  | Müller   | test@email.com   |

After having a short look on how to write macros for jedit I turned out the be real easy, due to the use of beanshell. So here it is: my jedit macro to beautify text tables

How to install
  1. Download the file.
  2. Copy it to your .jedit/macros folder. You can also create a subfolder "Text" and place it there.
  3. Open jedit and select Macros / Rescan Macros.
  4. You should see a macro called "Beautify Table" now.
How to use
  1. Write your text table in jedit as you normally do.
  2. Select the whole table.
  3. Select Macros / Beautify Table.
  4. The table should now be pretty :)
I hope you find this macro as useful as I do and enjoy using it.

PS: For better usability I recommend to make a shortcut for the macro (ex. CTRL-TAB).

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen